Monday, February 12, 2007

Where I learned to knit

Julie over at http://samuraiknitter.blogspot.com posted a tag asking her readers about how and when they learned to knit. So here is mine.
I learned to knit 4 or 5 times from my Great Aunt Harriett. Every few years I would ask her to show me and she would go through cast on and knit and purl again. I did not knit much over the years untill My Great Uncle Kenny passed away last spring. My Great Aunt showed me the dishcloth I had knit for her years ago... I started knitting the very next week and have not really stopped since then. I taught my self to knit on a loom which gave me a greater understanding of my needle knitting.
I know a little short on the details but that is how I remember it. My Great Aunt and I sitting together... knit purl knit purl. Some of my dearest treasures are the sweaters she made my little ones

4 comments:

Julie said...

Awww. Good for Great Aunt Harriet, and good for you! Thanks for the story, and for dropping me the link.

Bells said...

thank god for our great aunts who taught us stuff, huh? I wish mine was still alive so I could tell her how much I learned from her (even though it was crochet, not knitting).

Sandy said...

Wow my very first comments! Thanks guys!

Julie said...

On my blog you asked about first sweater suggestions. The best I can do is tell you to get "Knitting Without Tears" and "Knitter's Almanac", both by Elizabeth Zimmerman, and pick something from there. My first color sweater was the Chainmail Sweater from Knitter's Almanac and it went well.

Plus if you do things her way, you'll never be afraid of patterns again.