Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Draw String Gift Bag pattern sort of...


So I sat down to write the pattern up for this bag and came to realise pattern writing is harder that I thought. I sort of made it up as I went along.So I will give it my best shot.
Note:I would think that you could make this bag out of any weight yarn and any size needle. Just check your gauge and use the number of stitches needed to get the size you want.

Here is what I did for the purple bag
Yarn: Knit Picks Bare Merino Wool fingering weight
color: Purple Urple by: yours truly
needle: US size 2 16" circ also from Knit Picks
Bag is knit in all SS except 1 round
Measurements: When laid flat 9" h x 7" w

I cast on about 120 stitches. Join ,( careful not to twist) and knit one round
Purl one round This makes a nice little edge to the top. I left this step out of the Redwood bag. If you want the top to curl up about 3/4" skip the purl round
Knit every round for about 1 1/2" ( or longer if you skipped the purl)
Eyelet round: I did knit4 YO K2TOG around. The YO K2Tog makes a small hole. the key here is to come out with an even number of eyelets. This is where you will thread your drawstring later.
After the eyelet round knit 3 rounds.
I wanted a round bag so increased about 12 stitches in the next round. I did knit 9 knit through front and back loop, however I think a make one might work better.
After the increase round work 1 round and then increase about 10-12 stitches on the next round.
This gives the bag a little fullness under the closure.
After the 2 increase rounds I knit every round for about 7". then I count my stitches and divide by 5. lets say I have 150 snitches
place marker every 25 stitches. Now we decrease for the bottom of the bag.
Round 1 Knit to 3 stitches before marker K2TOG knit1 slip marker k1 SSK around
Round 2 Knit
Repeat these 2 rows until there are 14 stitches left between markers I used DPN's from here to the end.
at this point I decrease every round so the bottom will be flat. Gather the last 10 stitches and weave in the ends. This is the same as if you were knitting the top a hat.
I used a piece of 1/4" ribbon for a drawstring. I think an I-cord or something else would be just as nice.
Not the best pattern ever written but there you go. I would welcome any suggestions for improvements or corrections.
I plan to try the same idea with worsted weight yarn and fewer stitches. this should make a chunkier bag...maybe I will felt one...
Anyway I hope this helps. if you make one send me a picture, I would love to see...

No comments: