Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Squared Mitts a Free Pattern.

I give you a new pattern by me, Squared Mitts



Yarn: color 1: Knit Picks Merino Style, black. any worsted wool will do for both colors.

color 2: Blue Moon Fiber Arts STR Heavyweight. Don't remember the colorway. Leftovers from socks.

A note about the yarn. You can use and 2 worsted wools you have in your stash for these. You could also knit the cuff in the main color. That big lump in the picture is my watch. sorry about that.
Gauge: I knit these at 6 1/2 stitches to the inch over the colorwork.


Needles US size 6 dpn's


With Color 2, Cast on 40 stitches. Join to knit in the round. Knit 10 rounds of K2,P2 rib. Knit one round. Switch to color 1, knit one round.


Next round starts color pattern. ( I have not found a good way to get the charts on the blog. If you need the charts leave me a comment and I will e-mail it to you. I tried to write it out here. Please let me know if you see any problems. )



chart 1
row 1:* K2 Color 1, K2 color 2* repeat to end of the round
row 2: same as row 1
row 3: *K2 color 2, K2 color 1 *repeat to end of the round
row 4: same as row 3
row 5: same as row 1
row 6: same as row 1
Row 7: knit all stitches in color 1

chart 2
row 1: *K1 in color 1, K3 in color 2, Knit 2 in color 1* repeat to end of round K1 in color 1
row 2: repeat row 1
row 3: repeat row 1
row 4 K all in color 1

repeat chart 2 twice more
Knit 15 rounds with color 1

thumb: I used the Thumb Trick from Elizabeth Zimmermann. On the thumb set opening round I knit the first 7 stitches on to waste yarn. Then slip those 7 sts back on the needle and knit the round like normal.

Knit 5 more rounds with color 1
Work chart 1
Knit 8 rounds of K2,P2 ribbing.
Bind off all stitches.

Thumb: Pick out the waste yarn at the thumb opening. (You should have 8 stitches on top and 7 on the bottom of the opening)Pick up the live stitches picking up an extra stitch in the gap between the top and bottom rows of live stitches (17 st total) knit 8 rows K1,P1 ribbing. Bind off. Weave in ends and block lightly. If you find any problems with the pattern please let me know. I am new to the whole pattern writing thing.

I am going to knit at least 2 more pairs of these. Bunky wants a pair for herself and I think her teacher might like one too. Best part is you need very little yarn. Yeah stash busting.

No comments: